Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Audio Book Underground



Cover of Matthew Thurber's "Sherlock Holmes and the Large Door" cassette, Pot Latch, I Gather Tapes.

As mentioned in the last post, I recently acquired a lo-fi homemade audio-book by my current favourite comic artist Matthew Thurber, called "Sherlock Holmes & The Large Door". I was going to link to his site (www.ambergriscomics.com/) but as of the time of writing, it seems to be down.

However, in searching for the tape elsewhere online, I came across the site Atomic Books. Here's a page of their site with images and info regarding Matthew Thurber's Sherlock Holmes tape: http://www.atomicbooks.com/index.php/sherlock-holmes-large-door-cassette.html

But they have more! Well, no more audio-books at first glance (I guess it is a niche within a niche, marketwise), but was very interested to see this. It's a tape of music, but it also includes a 16-page silk-screened comic. Looks really nice! And not totally dissimilar to what I'm doing (albeit with a reverse emphasis). Interesting!

Here's a review of the first release on Thurber's Pot Latch, I Gather label too, which explains it all much better than I could: Anti-Matter Alma Mater review.

No comments:

Post a Comment